MRG staff are available to advise landowners in the ecology of their land and how they can manage their land to increase biodiversity or reach other conservation goals. Our science staff can provide a 1-hour consultation for free on your property to answer any questions you have about the ecology or natural history of your land, improving habitat, etc. Further consultations and assistance on your land can be provided for a fee.
A short list of the common questions we often receive and can help with:
- What animals use my property?
- How can I manage my property to increase the amount or quality for birds, pollinators, native plants, mammals, etc.?
- How can I manage my land to improve or maintain water quality?
- How do I recognize negative impacts, (e.g., invasive species, pollution) on my land and address them?
This program has been very well-received by our community and we encourage anyone who is curious about the wildlife and habitat on their own property to get in touch.
CLICK HERE for details about Mianus River Gorge Wildlife Habitat Consultations.
For a copy of Buffers for Beauty, a guide to stream and pond buffer plantings, please click here.
Below is a list of our areas of expertise and some examples of past and present consulting projects.
- Natural Resource Bio-assessments – rare natural communities, forest cover types, mapping
- Wildlife Surveys – birds, amphibians, medium and large mammals, aquatic invertebrates
- Vegetation Surveys – northeastern forest trees and wildflowers, northeastern meadows
- Water Quality – Water chemistry and aquatic bio-indicators
Land and Water Management
- Invasive species surveys and management recommendations
- White-tailed deer management
- Old-growth forest protection and restoration
- Managing private properties for biodiversity and wildlife habitat
- Hiking trail and other recreational use planning
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Mapping
- Experimental design and field ecology techniques
- Wildlife and terrestrial vegetation sampling
- Soil chemistry
- Vernal pool ecology
- Manuscript edits/assistance
Some of Our Past Projects
- Inventory – Bedford Garden Club Sustainable Tree Project, including GIS mapping (Bedford Garden Club)
- GIS Maps of Lower Mianus River (Mianus River Watershed Council)
- Mianus River Priority Properties Recommendations (Mianus River Watershed Council)
- Anglefly Preserve Management Plan (Town of Somers)
- Implementation of Master plan for the Beaver Dam Sanctuary (Beaver Dam Sanctuary)
- Buxton Gorge Natural Resource Inventory and Assessment (Town of Bedford)
- Deer Management Recommendations (Town of North Castle)
- Deer Management Program Recommendations (Westchester County)
- Deer Management Program Recommendations (Pound Ridge Land Conservancy)
- Peekskill Hollow Brook Education Brochure (New York Department of Environmental Conservation Hudson River Estuary Program)